Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command & Conquer in Windows 7 64 bit

Exclamation Command & Conquer in Windows 7 64 bit

Everyone, I've been playing C&C Generals and C&C Generals: Zero Hour for many years. I play strictly OFF line. I just built a new computer and installed Windows 7 64 bit.

As I have seen that others are somehow managing to get C&C Generals: Zero Hour to work on the Windows 7 OS, could someone please post here exact steps to making whatever adjustments are needed to get it to work?

Dipper of Chickens chickendippers's Avatar

Hi Patriot,
    It should work fine. What issues are you having?

Webmaster of - [CnCWorld]
    Webmaster of - [CNC Community]

Quote Originally Posted by chickendippers View Post
    Hi Patriot,
    It should work fine. What issues are you having?
    I simply can't get it to work on Windows 7 64bit. The splash screen comes up, but after that it stops and no matter what I've tried for compatibility OS, run as administrator, or the like, it always gets the same thing. Right now I'm forced to do a reinstall because someone sent me info on creating and installing an "Options.ini" file. When I tried that it REALLY screwed things up making my desktop look like something akin to Windows 95 until it finally gave up.

If someone familiar with the running of C&C Generals and C&C Generals Zero Hour could give me a very detailed installation method for this that would be great.

I should update this a bit. I've completely uninstalled both C&C Generals and C&C Generals: Zero Hour. I then went to the program files and deleted them just to make sure all is gone. Then I ran my registry cleaner for the cleanup, and rebooted.

I've now attempted to install C&C Generals and the 108 patch and I'm getting the seemingly universal error report with C&C Generals regarding virus, overheat, generally messed up, report when I attempt to start the game.

I've tried compatibility and Admin options. Still get the same screen. This was also happening with C&C Generals: Zero Hour. I don't know what made me think that somehow Zero Hour was going to work when Generals didn't, but go figure.

Anyway, if I can get passed the Generals issues and get it running it would be likely something similar will make Zero Hour run.

Can I get a detailed fix for the Generals issue? PLEASE???!!!

What is your screen resolution? Generals/ZH are known to fail when they can't switch to the default screen resolution. The way to solve this is to set it manually, in the options.ini file.

And good gods, dude, please post in a normal font.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyerguds View Post
    What is your screen resolution? Generals/ZH are known to fail when they can't switch to the default screen resolution. The way to solve this is to set it manually, in the options.ini file.

1024x768 is the resolution I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyerguds View Post

I use this format font due to my poor eyesight.

In most web browsers, you can set the default font and font size... most of them allow zooming too nowadays. All you need to do is not use IE

As for your issue, have you checked out this thread?
    http://forums.commandandconquer.com/...ist/39702.page

Thumbs up Fixed Generals to work on Windows 7 64bit

OK, I've Fixed Generals to work on Windows 7 64bit. Here's what I've done. C&C Generals is now working on Windows 7 64bit. I'm not sure why two attempts to install it failed earlier, but it's working now. I can't explain why the information in the "Command and Conquer Generals Data" folder located in the Documents folder is so much different from the one created by Windows XP.

Steps I took to fix this:

I dug out the old PC tower with XP OS, hooked it up and made a complete copy of the "Command and Conquer Generals Data" folder onto a flash drive. I then moved the folder from the flash to the new PC tower and onto the desk top, then placed it inside a new created folder so as not to have a problem when I plucked the new one out of the Documents folder/Library. I then moved the existing Windows 7 created "Command and Conquer Generals Data" folder to the desktop. I then replaced the existing "Command and Conquer Generals Data" folder in it's entirety with the old one from Windows XP. Started the game and it worked like nothing was ever wrong. Delete the temporary storage folder from the desk top and the Windows 7 created "Command and Conquer Generals Data" folder and your off to the battlefield.

I wish I could explain what happened during the two attempts to install Generals to Windows 7 that created a completely different folder from what it should have been, but I can't and thus I have no explanation to offer to anyone else who has this problem. Suffice it to say that it's working just fine now and this method for fixing the situation worked perfectly.

I'll now attempt the same effort with Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour.

64bit Windows puts its files in different places than 32 bit Windows; maybe that caused it...

Thread Information