Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Alert 95 won't play - error

I am using Windows XP Professional, but I have no knowledge of setting up or running a virtual machine.

If you're already on WinXP, I don't think it'd do much anyway... I was mostly referring to using a WinXP VM on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

All I can advise you is to play around with the video option in RASETUP (back buffer, hardware filled blits), and run the game in Win98 compatibility mode.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker537 View Post
    OK, after doing some searching I found another site that recommended going to "Red Alert Windows 95 Setup" in the Start menu which brings up a little box that gives you the option to choose either 640x400 or 640x480 resolution. Red Alert plays in is 640x400 but apparently some video cards can't support that resolution for some reason, so you select the 640x480 option and it solves the video buffer error. Now everything is working perfectly for me, but I just thought I'd share the fix.

(Sorry about 3 posts in a row.)
    I'm having the same problem to run the game. I didn't find the "Red Alert Windows 95 Setup" mentioned above. However, i tried right-clicking on the file RA95.EXE, and selecting Properties, Compatibility and ticking the option 640 x 480 resolution, but the error still remains! I also tried "256 colors", "disable visuals themes" and all the others options that i have.

OS - Windows XP.

What do i do now? Please, help me.

Did you also install the upgrade patch or the Aftermath expansion pack (which contains the patch already)? If not, you'll need to do that, too. If you did and it still has an error, then I don't know what else to recommend. The patch and the proper resolution setting are the only 2 things you should need.

eh, if you go to the game folder, RASETUP.EXE is right in there. That IS the "Red Alert Windows 95 Setup".

Did you also install the upgrade patch or the Aftermath expansion pack (which contains the patch already)? If not, you'll need to do that, too. If you did and it still has an error, then I don't know what else to recommend. The patch and the proper resolution setting are the only 2 things you should need.
    Thanks, i'm downloading the Aftermath expansion. Let's see if it will works now.

Thanks again.

HI I am new to this what windows do you have

Banned

Yes, that's the patch I installed. I'm running Windows XP and I read you need that patch to run Red Alert on XP. Also, I currently don't have any expansion packs installed for Red Alert but I do own The Aftermath. I guess I'll try installing that and see if that clears up the error...

When I try to play the 95 version I get an error saying "The procedure entry point SMapLS_IP_EBP_12 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." What do I have to do to get the 95 version to play?
    That's the message I got.

I installed Red Alert through this page

http://www.cncworld.org/?page=features/tutorials/rafree

and I followed everything that was said.

I had to play this game after listening to "Hell March" lol. I haven't heared that since 1999.

Well I did the whole thing again, uninstalled it.

It works now.

What I forgot to do was click on the patch.

** Double clicking on Patch.exe will initiate the update process. **

Yeah, that was it. Silly me.

However it didn't work straight away. I did have to go to C:\Westwood\Red Alert and right click on RA95 to run the program in compatability mode for Windows 95.

Thread Information