PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 bit installation issues with CNC Vanilla

Almeida
15-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Hey guys! :)

Apologies I am kinda new and also I am not the best tech wizard about however I was wondering if I could grab some assistance with this installation issue.
I have 64 bit vista and upon mounting and following the direct guide for installation to vista I can't even install the game without experiencing the same compatability issues even when selecting windows 95 mode. I have played around with the ticking options to see if it will run at all and no such luck.... any ideas? ;) cheers!

Please find the screens below with the problem pop ups that I have been receiving.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9352/cncissues.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/cncissues.jpg/)

Comatoes
15-02-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm also having issues with this... even though he's installing it on Vista and I'm installing it for XP, it seems our problems are similar.

When I follow the tutorial exactly, (after doing the compatibility with 95 option) I double click SETUP and when the DOS-like screen comes up, it says "Cannot locate the SETUP.MIX file."

Then it tells me to insert the CD-ROM and hit any key or hit ESC to quit.

I've downloaded it twice to make sure I didn't do something wrong the first time and I keep getting the same issue.

Edit: Oh, and I'm sorry... this is for the C&C: Red Alert installation. My C&C original file was installed and ran successfully after downloading the patch that Nyeruds provided.

Almeida
15-02-2010, 12:46 PM
:)Hey there!
Cheers for your input, I will try to install those patches as soon as and let you know how that goes with Red Alert, but yea wished to get CNC Vanilla on the go, any other good ideas? :)
Cheers again!

BobF
15-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I have 64 bit vista and upon mounting

Your problem is simple.

The x64 versions of Windows can NOT run 16-bit code EVER.

If you want to run 16bit programs youll either need a PC with a 32bit OS or a virtual machine with a 32bit OS in it, VirtualBox with XP in it works fairly well for some things.

It might be that the installer is 16bit only, and the game is 32bit, if thats the case, you could try installing it on a 32bit OS and copying it over, that might work.

EDIT: After reading another post, this might help http://www.cnc-comm.com/page/installingtd#easy

Almeida
15-02-2010, 02:22 PM
:no:!!!! Thanks again for the input, aww thats a big shame :( I will try to link up with one of my older machines, cheers mate!

BobF
15-02-2010, 02:57 PM
:no:!!!! Thanks again for the input, aww thats a big shame :( I will try to link up with one of my older machines, cheers mate!

Did you try the link I posted? It mentions x64, so it looks to be just the installer thats 16bit, and certainly worth trying out.

Nyerguds
15-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I made a full harddisk installer for the game exactly to fix this problem.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

This version will also give you a ton of bug fixes and an added 1024x768 resolution.

[edit]

Ah, BobF already posted about it. Indeed, only the installer on the CD is 16 bit, the game itself works perfectly on Vista x64.

I'm also having issues with this... even though he's installing it on Vista and I'm installing it for XP, it seems our problems are similar.

When I follow the tutorial exactly, (after doing the compatibility with 95 option) I double click SETUP and when the DOS-like screen comes up, it says "Cannot locate the SETUP.MIX file."

Then it tells me to insert the CD-ROM and hit any key or hit ESC to quit.

I've downloaded it twice to make sure I didn't do something wrong the first time and I keep getting the same issue.

Edit: Oh, and I'm sorry... this is for the C&C: Red Alert installation. My C&C original file was installed and ran successfully after downloading the patch that Nyeruds provided.

For RA, go into the setup95 folder and run the installer you find in there.

Almeida
15-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks again for the input :) I have attempted Bobf's link here http://www.cnc-comm.com/page/installingtd#easy and tried the installer.exe and still the same pop ups come up. However Nyerguds... I was unaware that these patches (see below) were related to the vanilla one as I believed they were for Red Alert only? Also I thought things like patches/music upgrades etc assist 'after' the installation is complete, however the problem at the moment is getting the installer to actually run or the game to run itself :s - would this change your response in anyway? Thanks again! Downloads: (Current version: 1.06b revision 2) * Patch 1.06b r2 (26.8 MB) - [RELEASE NOTES] * Music upgrade pack (35.2 MB) - Do I need this? Read here * Complete No-CD game installation pack (v1.06b r2, no videos, all music included) (98.7 MB) * Savegame packs for high resolution * N3tRunn3r's 6-player map pack (version: 2009-06-16) - commonly used by CnCNet players

Tore
16-02-2010, 12:00 AM
installer.exe? What are you talking about?

That little guide tells you to download Nyer's C&C installer and how to activate the videos.

As for the last question:
Pick this one:
"Complete No-CD game installation pack (v1.06b r2, no videos, all music included) (98.7 MB)"

This is the full game, without the videos as the installer on the disk won't work on 64bit systems.

Almeida
16-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey guys! :) RESOLVED! Thanks ever so much for the support, got it working with the patches so now running like a dream.. a 1024x768 dream! :D including the movies pack! Wow nostalgic!!! Thanks a bunch again all! I shall go live the dream! :D

Nyerguds
16-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Glad we could help :)

v1.06c is on the way too (see my signature link) ;)